Sign the postcard from Palestine!
Please sign below to have your name included on our postcard to Government Minister, Matthew Hancock. Send a postcard from Palestine to the Government Minister who went all the way to Israel to announce he was giving away our democratic rights.
Did you know that Cabinet Office minister Matthew Hancock went all the way to Jerusalem so he could tell the Israeli Prime Minister in person that the UK Government is curtailing the democratic rights and freedoms of British people to help its Israeli ally?
The UK Government has made a public commitment to Israel that it will try to stop public authorities from taking procurement and investment decisions on ethical grounds. This is to stop them taking action against Israel’s illegal settlements in the West Bank.
With each passing month the situation for the Palestinians gets worse. More homes are demolished. More land is expropriated. More settlements are built. Yet our government does next to nothing to help the Palestinians. It’s because our government has done so little that the Palestinians are calling for boycott divestment and sanctions against Israel. Now our government is even trying to stop us taking ethical peaceful, action against the government of Israel.
Sign our postcard to the UK Government Minister to tell him:
- The latest Government guidance is against the spirit of democracy, localism and devolution.
- The Government must make it clear that their guidance won't prevent public bodies from refusing to sign contracts with companies involved in human rights abuses, including abuses in illegal Israeli settlements.
- The UK Government must ensure that changes to the local government pension scheme do not prevent pension funds from taking ethical stances.
- It is time for the Government to hold the Israeli Government to account and act to uphold Palestinian human rights.
Remind the Minister of the situation in Palestine:
- Almost 15,000 Palestinian people were injured last year by Israeli Forces in the occupied Palestinian territory.
- Up to 15 February 33 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli Forces this year; this continues the Israeli Forces pattern of violence which resulted in the deaths of 152 Palestinians last year.
(all the figures are available from the UN>)
Why is a UK Government Minister trying to stop us from opposing these abuses?